Thursday, May 10, 2012

“Books are a uniquely portable magic.” ― Stephen King


I really love reading.
Although I don't actually do very much of it.
If reading were a friend of mine, I think it would feel neglected.
I went into Cafe Voltaire/Books and Co. the other day, and I felt like I'm not reaching my potential in life because I don't read enough. I love the way the books are set up so that you look at them as you ponder what drink to order. There's something to be said about a cute coffee shop and a good book. I think C.S. Lewis would agree because he once said,  “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.” He also said that “we read to know that we are not alone.” James Baldwin  said something similar, “You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, or who had ever been alive.”
Reading connects with your inner thoughts and feelings and beliefs in a deep way that no media, however captivating and powerful it may be, will ever be able to. I feel like I can get into most books, even if I don't think they're that great because you still get hooked. In some way you feel like you are the character. It can be so enlightening to peer into the life of another, all the while realizing more about your own.


"Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another's skin, another's voice, another's soul.”
Joyce Carol Oates

No comments:

Post a Comment